Contempt Of Court

A Complaint for Contempt can filed after a Court Order or Judgment has been entered by the Court and one party fails to comply with the terms of the Order.

Common Contempt Issues

One of the most common issues in a Contempt is failure to pay child support.  A court order establishing child support remains in full force and effect until a further Court Order modifies the support obligation.  A party cannot stop paying child support because they have lost a job or the child has come to live with him or her.

Parties also can file a Complaint for Contempt if a party to a Custody/Visitation Order fails to abide by the Court Ordered Visitation Schedule.  Failure to make children available for visitation could result in a Judgment of Contempt.

If two parents share legal custody of their children, both parties should consent to medical treatments and educational decisions such as a change of school.  If one party is making decisions without consulting the other parent, a Complaint for Contempt may be filed.

A Judgment of Contempt could result in monetary sanctions or even jail time.

Let Swanson & Moors, LLC Help You Today

If you have any questions regarding contempt, you can’t afford to pass up a free consultation with an experienced attorney.  Contact Swanson & Moors, LLC today.

Swanson & Moors, LLC services all of Plymouth County, Bristol County, Norfolk County, and Barnstable County.